Monday 5 June 2017

More Musings from Steve...

One of the benefits of visiting campsites is being able to do a spot of laundry. Now. Being a bloke, I know this can be a somewhat minimal requirement, especially in the absence of any offers from the other half. But the need does rise occasionally to do ones smalls. A relatively simple operation one might imagine for a guy like me.

Think again.

It seems the modern campsite attempts to discouraged this routine chore. They provide plenty of hot and cold water, a bespoke sink with a specially ridged drainer for rubbing out those stubborn stains, but unfortunately they routinely fail to provide a simple plug.

Combine the absence of this essential component with a special tap which only works when pressed, and certain difficulties become apparent.

One needs the extra limbs of an octopus to press the tap, hold something in the plughole, and have two free hands to rinse your Y-fronts.

I've tried pushing the tap with my head, elbow, shoulder, nose and chin without much success. Forcing a sock or boxers down the plughole - and every combination, without satisfaction. I've even waited and watched Julia's attempts in the hope that her superior experience in these matters may teach me. But, alas, she is also deficient in the limb department.

So, happily we reach a compromise. I control the water supply and drainage operations, while Julia carries out the proper work. But even this method requires a certain amount of timing, discipline, and above all, contortion, often attracting admiring and approving glances at our technique from our fellow campers. This collaboration does provide some advantages - not only protecting ones dignity, but you also get your washing done by the missus.

In the same way that walking, running, swimming etc have become common place events among althetes, I do think this equally normal activity has future potential as an Olympic sport. Interested Athletics clubs can contact me through these pages.

Now, did I tell you about the mermaid I met...?


1 comment:

  1. Love the stories! You both crack me up! I've been laughing for the past ½ hr catching up on your blog entries. Keep up the great writing and riding!

    ReplyDelete