Friday 30 June 2017

An Ode to the Road...




We wake each day at half past five
By six we're on the way,
In hope to reach a place of rest
Before the hot midday.

There in France, so long ago
Back in the month of May,
We stopped to snack and ate our meals
And made 50k's per day.

Now before it's 10am
We leave 60k's behind,
On just one cup of coffee
Because food is hard to find.

The people all are " lacklustre"
The dogs are quite aggressive,
And the poorness of the villages
I'm finding right depressive.

The houses all look derelict
Abandoned, falling down,
And communistic blocks of flats
Still fill up every town.

The river that we're following
Is often out of sight,
The road is sometimes very good
But mostly...it is shite.

Uncovered holes and drains we pass
Could swallow up a man,
I try to miss these manholes.
(And lorries. If I can).

We spend all day just lying still
Hoping time will pass...
The heat has made me sweat, and caused
Some rubbing on my arse.

Do I know where I am going?
Do I care? Not me!
I just keep pedalling in the hope
One day I'll reach the sea...


No comments:

Post a Comment